We have several different breeds of duck here at the farm and they can often be found waddling together by their pond!
- An adult male is a drake and an adult female is a duck. A newborn is called a duckling.
- It takes 28 days for a fertilised duck egg to hatch.
- They have webbed feet which are designed for swimming and act like paddles.
- They have no nerves or blood vessels in their feet, so they can't feel the cold on their feet when swimming in icy water!
- Ducks can live up to 20 years.
- They have a gland near their tails which produces oil. They spread this over their outer feathers with their beak.
- Their outer oily feathers repel water and beneath this waterproof coat there are soft fluffy feathers which keep them warm.
- A duck's quack doesn't echo!
- They have excellent eyesight and can even see in colour.